Clafoutis

clafoutis.jpgI was brought up on Clafoutis, a previously little-known dessert from a little known region I come from: the Limousin.

While reading the food reviews in several newpapers, I have noticed that the clafoutis has left the Limousin and has become a dessert you can find in London, New York and many more places.

A clafoutis is neither a cake nor a pudding. The only way I can describe it is as a baked pancake. In its original form it was only made with cherries (with the stones left in) but nowadays it has hybrids with pretty much any fruit under the sun. It is really easy, quick to make, and delicious!

And here is the recipe for a classic clafoutis…

Clafoutis:
1/4 l of milk
3 eggs
100 g of sugar
80g of flour
pinch of salt
a slug of rum (optional)

Cream the eggs with the sugar. After it has become a paler shade of yellow, add the flour and a pinch of salt and slowly mix in the milk. It is best if you can let the batter rest for at least 1 hour. Butter a dish, place the fruit inside and pour the batter on top. Let it bake at 180 degrees until it is golden. My great grandmother and my grandmother always added a slug of rum (apparently it helps with the fluffiness of the batter). I actually never have a bottle of rum at home so I don’t tend to add it… might be a mistake on my part though….

You can download the recipe here.

– Emilie

1. Courtney | August 8, 2008 | Reply

I discovered Clafoutis in my local French bakery here in London. It was one of my cravings when I was pregnant. I love it! (Here, it is made with blueberries.)

2. Amanda | August 8, 2008 | Reply

I LOVE clafouti! I learned to make it in a past life in cooking school in NYC. We made it with cherries (pitted of course). I thought all clafouti had fruit, it just varied by what was seasonally available-is that not really the case Emilie? Reminds me….gotta make some clafouti before summer ends.

3. Michela | August 8, 2008 | Reply

how much fruit? just one layer?
is it fresh fruit? or do you cook it a bit before?

I love it too….I’d love to make some!!!!

4. Emilie | August 8, 2008 | Reply

We actually use whole cherries not pitted. I guess the theory is that less juice escapes the cherries that way. No need to cook the fruit and I reckon one layer of chunky fruit is enough!

5. Emilie | August 8, 2008 | Reply

you are absolutely right Amanda, it always has fruit. I just always use what is around and have never had any precise quantities.

6. Esther | August 8, 2008 | Reply

I have never tried this, but I will soon! Thanks Emilie! You’re a goddess!

7. Sara from Bruxelles | August 9, 2008 | Reply

My Mother-in-law makes this all the time and has given me the recipe, but have made it once. It’s so easy too I should make it more often! I’m more of a chocolate sweet tooth girl though…:0)

I’m loving you girls posting recipes! GREAT IDEA!