February 5, 2011
My daughter just turned 2, and this may be the last birthday party I have control over so we kept it simple — balloons were the theme. We obviously had lots of helium balloons around the house but we managed to find some more unusual balloons to spice up the theme.
- Stripy/beach-ball Japanese paper balloons (which we hung in an alcove and gave away in party bags) available here (thanks to Irene from Bloesem, who helped me track these down!), and I love the animal versions available here.
- Large paper baubles (which hung from our stairs) which come out for practically every party we do. I bought them from RE over 2 years ago — a great party-staple!
- The best ever huge round balloons which I could only find in the US, here, so leave some time for shipping. A big hit though!
- Rabbit shaped balloons and Balloon whistles for party favours. Sadly my balloon shaped cookie cutters didn’t arrive in time (Christmas post!) so I had to improvise (see pictures).
- We didn’t play many party games as I find cake, music and friends is almost all a 2-year-old can cope with but here are some to play with older children.
And I like these ideas as potential prizes or presents for a balloon themed party…
- The beautiful book, Emily’s Balloon by Komako Sakai
- These gorgeous wall-stickers by Belle & Boo.
- This Up, Up and Away print from Pedlars (a rather tenuous link to balloons but I like the print and it’s currently on sale!)
- A balloon powered racing car from Cox & Cox.
ONE YEAR AGO WE WROTE ABOUT:• Our favourite travel game — Djeco Bingo
• Plümo — (this one is actually for the mums)
Category: Birthdays and parties, Décor, For Kids, Home, Toys and Games
9 COMMENTS - Add your own
Mo this is great! A perfect party for a 2 year old…
Congratulations to your daughter!
I have a question for the helium… did you go to a shop for filling or how did you do?
It was such a beautiful party. I loved all the different balloons. And my kids are STILL playing with all their balloon-themed goodie bag items. Such a hit!
I LOVE your blog. The balloon party is a GREAT idea!
[...] kid doesn’t love balloons? I liked this blog post because there are so many ideas to put on a fantastic and fun balloon-themed party. Take a [...]
What a great idea for a party! I love the big round balloons! x
i ve found this amazing movie in local library 3 year old twins just loved it and tot mesmerized by it ‘Le Ballon Rouge” A.Lamorisse 1956 ciaooo
What a gorgeous idea. My little one is about to turn two and I’m playing with some themes although I plan to keep it low key. And I also highly recommend The Red Balloon.
I love the huge round balloons and get mine from here in the UK. http://www.giantballoons.co.uk/
What a cute party for a cutie pie
If you do another party and still want to incorporate balloons… Having a balloon artist come to entertain at your event is a fun idea…. I do them all the time… and not just the kids, but the adults absolutely get in on the fun too! Thanks for sharing your pics… They’re great… ! ~Mirae