Æbleskiver recipe

Æbleskivers are a type of (delicious!) Danish pancake… and while I don’t have any Danish roots, my family has been making Æbleskivers for as long as I can remember. My mom even remembers her grandmother making them for her. I believe they are traditionally eaten around Christmas time, but in my family we eat them whenever we are all together. Usually in the summertime!

Santa gave me an Æbleskiver pan for Christmas this year and we made them twice over the Christmas holiday. They’re so yummy — like a cross between a donut and a pancake. What’s not to love?! Here’s my family’s age-old recipe:

Æbleskivers (approximately 40):

- 3 eggs
- 1 pint of cream
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon of sugar

Beat the eggs until they’re light in colour. Add the flour and the cream alternatively and mix well. Add the salt, baking powder and sugar and mix until smooth and creamy. Batter should pour easily into pan.

Heat your Æbleskiver pan over high heat. Add a bit of vegetable oil (or butter) to individual holes and fill the holes ¾ full with batter. Turn the æbleskivers (we do this with a fork in each hand) when they are getting dry and golden on the bottom (you might need to turn them in three rotations to get them to be round in shape). When they are round and golden on all sides, dump from the pan onto a plate of powdered sugar.

Enjoy with powdered sugar and/or jam. (If you’ve made too many, save for later! My kids love them even when they’re cold.)

xx Courtney

1. Gina | January 3, 2014 | Reply

Delicious, must try this!! (I’m doing your Kristina Kringles cookies for “Dia de Reis”, the spanish festivity that equals Santa Klaus, and I can’t wait to taste them!)

2. Pam | January 3, 2014 | Reply

Happy New Year! Looks delicious! Will definitely give this a go! When we lived in Japan, Santa gave me a takoyaki pan and it looks remarkably similar (must check wikipedia…).

3. Veronicash | January 4, 2014 | Reply

what cream are you using? whipping cream? thanks! The recipe looks very delicious.

4. Megan Skjei Vogel | January 4, 2014 | Reply

I had almost forgotten about our Aebleskiver pans! We were first introduced to them when my little brother Brian was over at Washington State – there is a great restaurant in Pullman that makes them too. You were right, these were a great hit with my little boy! Happy New Year, Courtney!

5. chelsey | January 6, 2014 | Reply

ok these look amazing! I’m definitely going to have to attempt these. Thanks so much for sharing! Your blog is lovely!!
xoChelsey

6. melissa | January 9, 2014 | Reply

oh my word, now i want a pan just so I can make these things! They look delicious. Wonder if it’s possible with another sort of pan?

7. Frederikke | March 16, 2014 | Reply

Couldn’t resist commenting this.
I’m from Denmark, and æbleskiver is an really old tradition around christmas in Denmark. If you come to Denmark in December you would find æbleskiver in every cafe, home, frozen in store and everybody’s eating them at all time, with a glass of glögg[ warm spiced red wine, rom and snaps] and hot chocolate.
In a typical danish recipe there is also lemon zest , grounded cardamom, made with buttermilk instead of cream, sometimes vanilla and some are putting a pice of apple in the middle
Keep cooking danish recipes:)
( sorry for my really bad english)