Real Love

There are a thousand great things about being a mom, but one of the best things can be the total undulated love you get from small children. I have heard the rumours it changes for a couple of years when they get older but I am still privy to my kids thinking I rock. Now, I do also get my fair share of insults: “You are not nice” is often said straight to my face or, when they really mean it: “You really, really are not very nice”.

But there are moments I am put on a pedestal and it makes me very happy and warm inside, all at the same time… I recently tried to do some trapezing and even an elephant would have looked more elegant than me. I was afraid of the height, I had no upper-body muscle, I could not summersault down – it was a catastrophe. And yet a while later when we went to see a trapeze performance with artists literally flying through the air with the greatest of ease, Violette turned around to me and said in awe: ” Look mommy, just like you!!!”.
Now that is real love, a bit delusional, but real love none the less. Do you ever get showered with love just because you are someone’s mom?

– Emilie

P.S The above photo was taken by the super talented Sarah Gardan this summer in the place des Vosges!

1. MartaG | January 29, 2013 | Reply

What a great photo! I love place des Vosges, by the way, what a great house Hugo had! As for children, when my son wants to make me happy, he says I’m a pink princess. Apparently, all his girl friends want to be just that, so, he thinks a princess wearing pink is a happy woman. If only life was that easy :-P

2. Emilie | January 29, 2013

What a little charmer! You are right, if life was only that easy!

3. Lindsey | January 29, 2013 | Reply

I love place des Vosges too – went there last year en route to Merci… pretty square! This photo looks like it belongs in a magazine!

I love this about my children too – total unconditional love… I love that are quick to forgive, not hold grudges and still think i’m pretty funny/cool (for now!).

4. Eveline | January 29, 2013 | Reply

What a great photo, with such genuine smiles on your girls’ faces. Really lovely.

5. alicia | January 29, 2013 | Reply

It’s a mother’s little secret, having kids is the biggest confidence booster. My daughter actually laughs at my jokes, tells me earnestly that she won’t wake me up and she doesn’t mind me squeezing her with all my might! She also keeps me in check: mummy here is your phone and don’t forget you have to give the present in your car to your friend, don’t put the alarm on because daddy’s inside. Ugh what would I do without her! The photo is so full of life Emilie, I posted it to my Pinterest board called Mothers & Daughters.

6. Emilie | January 29, 2013

That is so sweet of you, Alicia!

7. MO | January 29, 2013 | Reply

oh my god you just made me cry with that last line!!!!

8. MissM | January 29, 2013 | Reply

What a beautiful family you have, Emilie! Lovely picture!

9. Meaghan Roozen | January 29, 2013 | Reply

I love your trapeze story. Sweet sweet Vivi. Xo

10. Emilie in Paris | January 29, 2013

She certainly has her moments ;)

11. Vanessa | January 29, 2013 | Reply

You have two adorable girls Emilie. Such a happy photo. x

12. simone | January 29, 2013 | Reply

my daughter was my biggest fan from the moment on she could speak. “What beautyfull hair you have, I would like to have the same!” (hers is blond, mine dark brown), “nice new bag” (my husband does not even notice!) etc. And I get kisses from her all the time. My son only started to give me kisses only at the age of five. And now every time I get one, my heart goes really fast. They are so special for me!
Love your picture. Maybe we meet some time in Paris, a love to be at the place des Voges. Love Simone

13. Emilie in Paris | January 30, 2013

Let me know when you are in Paris!

14. Solveig | January 30, 2013 | Reply

How lovely! I get showered with love by my middle child on a regular basis. He really does think I am the best thing ever – long may it last…!

15. stacy | January 31, 2013 | Reply

That is an absolutely adorable photo! My two youngest girls are 4 1/2 and 2 years old: I wish they would stay this age for five years or so.
PS I was one of the lucky few residents of Place des Vosges. My oldest son says he is utterly ruined for any other address in Paris!

16. Emilie | February 1, 2013

You lucky thing, your son is right, he will never be able to live anywhere else in Paris