Advent calendar

Growing up with a German mother, celebrating advent was a big deal and magical to us children.  In our family I have so much fun putting together and collecting gifts for the advent calendar.  Henrik is now at such a wonderful age and gets really excited to open each advent. This year I found some great paper advent bags at Ikea and couldn’t pass them up.  I like to keep things simple and I just tied twine to the staircase.  I then attached the bags to the twine with wooden close  pins going up the stairs.

I rotate the gifts so that my two children get something every other day.  I usually give them small little gifts that range from $1-$4.  I also like to pick gifts that they can get a lot of play out of.  Because I have a 22-month-old that is into everything I only put one advent gift in at a time the night before.

It’s so great to see their excited faces when they open their advent bag.  I think it makes counting down till Christmas so much fun and bearable for children.

-Meta

1. Victoria | November 27, 2012 | Reply

Hi Meta,
What a lovely idea and the bags look so pretty on your staircase. I’m curious about he little presents you managed to find for the bags. I think they look like perfect stocking stuffers.. Is it possible to find any of them online?
I’m a British expat living in Moscow but can order online from either the U.S. or UK. $1 – $4 per gift sounds just right to me. I’m really struggling to find stuff for my kids stockings that costs less than $10. Any suggestions would be gladly appreciated!

2. Meta | November 27, 2012

Thank you! Most of the gifts I bought are from local shops, but I’d be happy to give you some sources on where to get some of the items. The finger puppets are from mudpuppy and you can get them here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0735332320. The smurfs are the brand schleich. There are lots of animals, etc. to choose, my children love collecting them: amazon.com/Schleich/b?ie=UTF8&node=67148801. We also like collecting Japanese erasers. Here’s an amazing selection: http://www.funrewards.co.uk/. I hope this helps! Good luck!

3. Helene | November 27, 2012 | Reply

I love Advent calendars too! This is what I’ve been making this year for my boys and family and friends: http://ameliepou.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/final-instalment.html?m=1
I’ve been stocking up on small gifts for a little while now (stickers, pencils, sticky notes, toy cars, Lego and playmobil people) and can’t wait for my boys to start discovering their surprise every morning. It’s great for learning to take turns too!!
Btw, I love your Orla Kiely wallpaper!

4. Meta | November 27, 2012

Thank you! I agree about taking turns, it might get really interesting with my 22 month old who doesn’t understand that concept yet.

5. Maria in Oviedo, Spain | November 27, 2012 | Reply

Meta! I love it! and your pictures are always wonderful! a big kiss!!

6. Meta | November 27, 2012

Thank you! You are too kind! I love your photographs too. xx!

7. Mitali | November 27, 2012 | Reply

How sweet! Your calender looks lovely. I live in Germany, grew up with this tradition and now love to make a calender for my kids every year!

8. Meta | November 27, 2012

Thank you! I really enjoy all of the German Christmas traditions. I am still trying to keep them alive in my family. We particularly love St. Nikolaus tag.

9. DailyKids | November 27, 2012 | Reply

Love it !!

10. Romi | November 28, 2012 | Reply

this is a great idea!!!!!! thanks for sharing…

11. Calendarios de Adviento | November 1, 2014 | Reply

[…] propuesta de Babyccino es una […]

12. Family Holiday Tradition: Christmas Book Advent CalendarThe Family Room | December 3, 2014 | Reply

[…] out there. From what I saw, all advent calendars either involved tons of candy, tons of crap knick knacks or the pressure of daily activities. I’m not opposed to any of those, it just seems like […]