Keeping winter babies warm

Like I mentioned before, all of my other babies were born in the late spring/early summer, all of them born during a heat wave. Dressing summer babies is so easy — you just throw on a light romper or onesie and off you go! I’ve been a bit apprehensive about having a tiny new baby born during the cold, cold winter. How will he/she stay warm on long walks in the park? (I am personally always cold. Will the baby be this way too?)

My mom came to the rescue when she came back from a trip to Austria with this ultra cosy down-filled Footmuff . It is so great! It has inserts in the back so you can fit it into your carseat, or it can go directly into the buggy basinet or wherever else you might need it. Pure luxury. I wish I could squeeze myself into it and be pushed around all cosied up! (No need to go to Austria to find them. I found it on Amazon here .)

x Courtney

p.s. If you’re wondering… I am still very pregnant! Due date was yesterday. Tick tock, tick tock…  xx

1. Lily | November 6, 2012 | Reply

OMG, these are so cute. Can’t believe your still pregnant – you better go have some acupuncture to bring baby on – you don’t want to be induced at the hospital. Hopefully baby will make its appearance soon.

2. Émilie | November 6, 2012 | Reply

These look lovely. I remember being so jealous of you because Easton was a summer baby and Coco a winter baby and I get really worried about keeping her warm. It all worked out in the end!

3. Kirsteen | November 6, 2012 | Reply

These look so snuggly!
How exciting that you don’t have long to go now :)

4. Penny | November 6, 2012 | Reply

I had one of those for my daughter who was born in October. As she only slept in her stroller, I was walking through rain, ice and snow for hours every day. It was ice cold that year. I recommend: a fleece-lined beanie, a thick one-piece, preferrably with a hood and flaps for the hands and feet ( mittens are just way too complicated) and, on top of that, the footmuff you showed. So many people stopped and looked longingly into her stroller, sighing and saying:” I wish I could be in there.” All the best for you and your winter baby!!!!!

5. Mo | November 7, 2012 | Reply

I don’t want to be a killjoy, but these are not recommended for use in the car seat in cars as the fluffy back of the footmuff can impede the harness, so that the baby can be thrown out of the car seat in an accident. (That’s why you should never use thick, fluffy coats in cars.) Otherwise it looks lovely and warm for a lovely stroll in the park! :)

Good luck!

6. Penny | November 7, 2012 | Reply

Mo, isn’t there a difference between a coat, which would actually be wrapped around the baby, and the muff, which has holes through which the harness is fixed? Is that really equally dangerous?

7. Mo | November 8, 2012 | Reply

Hi Penny, unfortunately yes. The problem is, that the back of the footmuff is so thick that you would have to loosen the straps to fit the baby. In an accident the thick material can then compress, making the straps dangerously loose. The best way to check if a footmuff/coat is safe in an accident is to put the baby in the car seat with the footmuff/coat, tighten the straps, take the baby and the footmuff/coat out without loosening the straps and then put the baby in again without the footmuff/coat. If the straps are too loose, then the footmuff/coat is to big/fluffy to be used safely in a car seat, at least in the car. The footmuff is also open in the top, so in an accident, the baby could slide out the top.

Some car seat manufacturers sell footmuffs that are designed and tested for use with their car seats, they should presumably be safe to use (but I have never tried them out, so I can’t say for sure).

This footmuff, albeit lovely and warn, looks as if it would be way too thick in the back to be safely used in a car seat in a car. I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to use it in a stroller or even a car seat that is not going to be in the car though, as compression is not a problem there (even if you were to crash the stroller into something at top speed, it wouldn’t be that high, if any, G-forces involved in the crash). In fact, I wouldn’t mind being snuggled up in a footmuff like that, it looks so cosy!

8. Penny | November 8, 2012 | Reply

Hi Mo,thank you so much for taking time to give me an answer! This soooo nice of you! I really didn’t know that footmuffs are dangerous too! So I’ll probably be reminded of you every time I see a car seat :-). Cheers,
Penny

9. Courtney in London | November 9, 2012 | Reply

If I can add my two cents… The down footmuff is actually not thick at all. It compresses all the way down, so I can’t imagine you have to lengthen the straps to fit the baby in.
But… I suppose I will know when this baby arrives and I’ll be able to tell you how it goes.
Thank you both for your comments! x

10. Emilie in London | November 9, 2012 | Reply

Good luck with the wait! I always wondered why English give a due date 1 week earlier than the rest of Europe, most of my friends have been late…

11. Cathy | December 11, 2012 | Reply

What size are these footmuffs? I can’t tell from the Amazon listing. My baby is 10 months old. Will he be too big for it? They look so cozy!

12. Courtney in London | December 11, 2012

Hi Cathy,
I’m not entirely sure of the size it’s meant for, but just by looking at it, I think it would fit babies from newborn up to age one. Your 10-month-old might be getting too big for it. ??
Hope that helps,
xx Courtney

13. Cathy | February 7, 2013

Thanks for your reply, Courtney! Congratulations, by the way, on your fourth! I’m an American living in London as well (for nearly ten years now) and I really enjoy reading this blog. I especially enjoy the craft projects.