A new rule: no scarves at school

I live in, what is called in French, a bobo neighbourhood. Bobo stands for ‘Bourjeois Bohemian’, an ironic name for people living in certain parts of Paris — namely young, middle class, hip, left-wing with a certain income.

I have been recently elected parent representative on the school council and attended my very first school council meeting. One of the subjects brought up by the teachers was that they needed to forbid children wearing scarves at school. One of the reasons was because when the little ones were playing catch, they would pull on each other scarves and choke each other. But there was also another reason: there is a fashion this year for kids being wrapped in extremely long scarves and so the child gets his feet caught in this own scarf! I could hardly surpress a giggle in the meeting, because a three-year-old with a scarf dangling down to his knees is a serious case of style over practicality. You cannot get more bobo than that!

So scarves are now banned and kids are encouraged to wear woolly collars (I have looked it up and they are called ’snoods’ in English, if I am not mistaken). These collars are actually quite hard to find! The prettiest one I have seen so far is a Bonton (arguably the most bobo children’s clothes label of them all!). It is soft and snuggly and comes in some lovely colours. By the way, if someone knows of a good pattern to knit one of these woolly collars, I would love to have it!

- Emilie

1. Lily | November 5, 2012 | Reply
2. Emilie in Paris | November 5, 2012

Thank you! I always love a bit of neon

3. Eveline | November 5, 2012 | Reply

Ridiculous! Why don’t they just announce: no scarves dangling below the belly. And make a rule for the kids pulling is not allowed.

4. Emilie in Paris | November 5, 2012

Eveline, I totally agree with you! the whole thing is ridiculous – from the school rules to the crazy fashion for pre-schoolers! I do like the idea of a snood though ;)

5. Eveline | November 5, 2012

Me too, for sure. :)

6. Maria | November 5, 2012 | Reply

I discovered snoods a couple of years ago for their practicality… My kids didn’t want scarves. So I knitted a couple for them using circular needles (continental knitting). Also you can knit it as a scarf and sew both ends…

7. Irina | November 5, 2012 | Reply

I have recently knit a cowl each for my two sons following a pattern I found on the purlbee blog. The pattern worked well for my 7-year-old son and I then adjusted it for the cowl I made for my 2-year-old son by simply reducing the number of stitches. I was very happy with the result and my boys both really like wearing their cowl.

8. Siobhan | November 5, 2012 | Reply

How interesting! I do agree though that many scarves are simply too long for children. Recently I bought a scarf for my son in H&M and was surprised to see it was quite short (100 cm) but its actually much more practical for him.

These collars are also quite popular in Germany:

Yvonne from Yvestown has crochet instructions here for a snood/cowel that might be helpful:

9. Rebecca | November 5, 2012 | Reply

We bought a fleece/style wooly collar from http://www.polarnopyret.com…….the store is actually in the U.K. Or Polarn O. Pyret-contact and see if they are making them-we love ours.

Regards,

Rebecca Gacek

11. Hiskia | November 5, 2012 | Reply

We’re also big fans of cowls instead of scarves! (not a big fan of rules regarding clothing though…)
Last year I knitted an accordion cowl for Isis (kleinezaken.blogspot.ch/2012/01/accordion-cowl.html), this weekend I finished a bandana cowl (http://kleinezaken.blogspot.ch/2012/11/bandana-cowl.html). Both simple & quick knits!

12. Wibke | November 5, 2012 | Reply

Hi.
Especially for those in France, if you’d like to knit your own snood, check out “Peace & Wool”, they have got some fabulous kits on offer – peaceandwool.com

Wibke

13. Emilie in Paris | November 5, 2012

Love the wools on this site! Thank you, I had never heard of Peace and Wool

14. Justine | November 5, 2012 | Reply

Hello Emilie,

Just to let you know that Une Sardine à Rio has been making wool collars in the Kit Bien au Chaud for 3 years now and that it will be back soon in the shop :-)

15. Emilie in Paris | November 5, 2012

Ha! I cannot wait for it to be back in the shop. I am such a huge fan of a Sardine à Rio!

16. Cherie | November 5, 2012 | Reply

I make and sell cowls aka snoods in my etsy shop. I ship all over the world and they are available in any size you can think of.
I also have 2 children that do not like wearing typical scarves, as they get in the way and can be bulky. This are a great alternative.

17. Emilie in Paris | November 5, 2012

You have some super sweet pieces in your etsy shop! I especially like the little knitted beanie

18. Susana | November 6, 2012 | Reply

Check out the buff collection,very nice for children

19. Nina | November 10, 2012 | Reply

How about this one? http://www.etsy.com/listing/111020402/knitting-pattern-hat-and-cowl-set-cool

I made the beret – too big though – need to redo it and the cowl I want to make as well.

20. Isobel | November 17, 2012 | Reply

If you’d like to try a DIY version, you can simply chop the top half off an old tshirt or jumper and use the bottom ‘tube’ part as a snood (sew woolly jumpers before cutting so it won’t fray when you cut, no need to sew jersey tees tho as they won’t fray). If you use an adult size tee or jumper it will go around a child’s head twice so nice and snug, or an old baby tee or jumper will be fine as it is and a bit looser around the neck.

21. How to knit a snood! « Babyccino Kids: Daily tips, Children's products, Craft ideas, Recipes & More | January 14, 2013 | Reply

[...] you might remember snoods are an essential part of a Parisian pre-school child’s wardrobe. As four-year-olds have quite [...]