We were recently asked by an interiors magazine to create a list of tips for decorating children’s rooms… and while we certainly aren’t experts, we felt we had a few good ideas up our sleeves. Here are the ideas we have come up with:
1. Start with a neutral palette on the walls and floors. Children’s toys and decorations are so colourful, they will instantly brighten up the room.
2. Add accents of colour with wall stickers, patterned rugs, decorative throw pillows, mobiles, artwork and other décor pieces.
3. You can never have too much storage! Keep the majority of their toys and games tucked away to avoid too much clutter and to keep things organized. Cupboards and drawers are good, but you can also use baskets, trunks and other decorative storage units. (Baskets are great because children can access their toys easily, and tidy up on their own as well!)
4. Have fun with lighting – there are so many cute lamps for children, and it’s a fun way to be playful with something necessary. (It’s also good to have lamps that can be dim, to be used as night lights at bedtime. And always good to have a bedside lamp for kids to read from bed.)
5. Be creative with children’s book storage – put books at their level so they have easy access to them, and don’t be afraid to use books as decoration too!
6. Kids love to have their own little space to play. Tee-pees or tents are a fun way to give kids a little nook of their own… to play and be imaginative in a world of their own.
7. Hang and display your child’s artwork. They will feel so proud, and it offers a sweet and playful piece of art that will make their room feel unique and personal.
8. Hang your child’s favourite or most unique clothing pieces and use them as decoration. Children’s clothing can be so beautiful, and it’s a shame to keep it all hanging inside a closet.
9. Children also love having their own-sized table and chairs, a place to draw and do their homework. If you have the space, put a little table and chairs in their room. You never know – it might inspire more creative projects!
10. Have fun with children’s rooms. If your kid’s favourite colour is yellow, go with it. If they love dinosaurs, put dinosaur wall stickers on the walls. Children’s rooms should be a reflection of the kids who sleep and play in them, and should be just as playful as they are.
Please feel free to leave us comments with any other good tips we may have forgotten!