Sunday Waffles

A few years ago our really good Canadian friends moved back to Canada from Amsterdam leaving with us their waffle iron and amazing waffle recipe.  Now every Sunday for brunch without fail we have waffles. There is nothing better than fresh waffles, fruit, bacon and gallons of maple syrup.  The other month I upgraded our waffle iron to this beauty from Amazon (UK or US ) to keep up with the demand at our table.

Here is the recipe for the best waffles ever:

• 250 grams of flour
  • 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon of salt
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 450 ml of karnemelk (buttermilk)
  • 75 ml of oil ( I use rice bran oil but olive oil works just as well)
  • 2 beaten egg yolks
  • 2 well beaten egg whites

Take all the dry ingredients and sift together, make a well in the centre. Measure out the milk and oil and mix together with the egg yolks.  Then, pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Then fold in your egg whites until just combined. My favourite topping is bacon, sliced bananas and maple syrup. Delicious!

Stephxo

1. Becky | September 26, 2011 | Reply

I agree – these are absolutely the best waffles ever and this is the recipe which led me to buy a waffle iron too! I also love them with a couple of handfuls of blueberries thrown in just before you mix in the egg whites. Delicious….

2. Sara - Belgium | September 26, 2011 | Reply

YUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’ve lived in Belgium for almost 11 years and I still don’t have a waffle maker!!! TIME TO GET ONE FOR THIS RECIPE!!!!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!

3. Emilie in Paris | September 26, 2011 | Reply

Fab! I have been looking for a good new waffles recipe as mine turn out often as rubbery as shoe soles!

4. adriani | September 27, 2011 | Reply

yummy! will definitely try this recipe on Sunday!

5. Brittany -Sweden | September 27, 2011 | Reply

Where are you getting “gallons” of maple syrup? I live in Sweden and I can only get teeny tiny bottles that cost around €10 each.

6. Stephanie | September 28, 2011 | Reply

Brittany – we went to Canada last year on holiday and bought back 5 litres in our suitcase!! You can only get small bottles here too :o(
Our friends that gifted us the waffle iron also bought us 1 litre this year to top up our supply.

7. Stella | January 7, 2012 | Reply

Sadly the waffle iron you recommend has been unavailable on Amazon’s UK site for aaaages. And google’s no help either :(

8. Steph | January 10, 2012

Sorry to hear that Stella can you find a good substitute? Waffle irons that make 4 at a time are good for a family.