Pomme d’Api

I grew up in Germany with a French mother who was very intent on making sure we grew up speaking French fluently, something I am very grateful for. It must have been hard work, as both my brother and I both rebelled, and wanted to be like all the other kids and only speak one language. A lot of other multi-lingual families we knew did not persevere and the children never learned their mother-tongue… such a shame.

One of the tools my mother used to teach us how to read French was a monthly magazine called Pomme d’Api. It was great: full of stories, facts, projects and games. It was quite forward thinking for its time and still exists. Now my daughter has a subscription and the format of the magazine has not changed at all (which is very exciting for a sentimentalist like me). She loves getting a little package in the mail each month and enjoys reading it. The editing house Bayard Press has grown since I was a kid and they have a lot more magazines now for all age groups. I think it is a great tool to encourage kids to keep up a second language especially if you are living abroad.

-Emilie

1. Jennifer | February 16, 2011 | Reply

My kids love Pomme d’Api & Popi! I’ve never subscribed, but this seems like a great idea!

2. Alison | February 16, 2011 | Reply

We live in Spain. DS receives ’storybox’ each month. A gift subscription from his uncle.

3. Michele | February 16, 2011 | Reply

We love Pomme d’Api too. But boy, was this month’s hamster cage tricky to make!

4. Emilie in Paris | February 16, 2011 | Reply

Ha Michele, I have not attempted that one yet!

5. Michele | February 17, 2011

Our Xmas creche turned out ok, but this one doesn’t look so good. That said, my 3 yr old has been feeding her hamster 2-3 times a day and so I guess it worked well enough. Really, whoever designs their monthly game or craft project is very clever.

6. simone | February 16, 2011 | Reply

I was raised in Germany with a French mother too. We also got to read Pomme d’Api. My son gets Toupie which is for younger children. He really likes it. But I find it very difficult as a bi-lingual to learn my children french. We live in Germany and will stay there, my husband does not speak French and all our friends are German. I hope my mother will learn them as much French as she can!

7. Hiskia | February 17, 2011 | Reply

so that’s what i need! isis needs to learn french as we’re living in CH now. thanks for the idea!!

8. ChantaleP | February 21, 2011 | Reply

I bought this subscription for my daughter last year! Her favorites are the Oukilé family (like finding Waldo) and of course, Sam Sam! Pomme d’Api is a great read here in Québec too.. I speak to my daughter in english, the Papa in french. Parfait!

9. Fiona | February 24, 2011 | Reply

I have just ordered this for Papa (who is French) to read to our boys at bedtime. We live in France, I was wondering what might be a popular equivalent in English (I am a New Zealander) for me to enjoy with them too. Thanks for any suggestions.

10. Maria | October 24, 2012 | Reply

I grew up in Romania.In 1990 i recive Pomme d’api. Was a gift from a family friend. I don’t know very well french, but my mother do. She read it me, everyday…was the best gift in my life. Now i have 25 years and i stil love Pomme d’api…