Summer Holidays Must-Haves

I am just about to go away on holiday for the next few weeks. I read this article in the Guardian and had to laugh… a lot of it rang so true. I thought I was the only person in the whole world who got disproportionately annoyed by my fellow passengers resting their elbows on “my” armrest on a plane. Summer holidays are so much fun but I am not a big fan of the packing, preparation and traveling, especially with kids. This time I am going away by car which is bliss. I get to take so many more extras…

So my main must-have holiday items this year are:

• Straw hats for the whole family
  • TC Boyle’s The Women, for me
  • My childhood copy of AA Milne’s “Winnie the Pooh” for my daughters
  • A pack of cards, as I am obsessed with learning card games (I wish Courtney was coming as she knows the best games)
  • The scarf that I have been knitting for the last 2 years, which I have vowed to finish before the winter
  • My ipod with the new Scissor Sisters Album and Beatles tracks for the kids to sing along to: “Yellow Tumborine” (as they call it) is a favourite

What are your holiday must-haves? I would love to hear!

– Emilie

1. Courtney in London | August 4, 2010 | Reply

I am reading ‘The Help’ right now and it is so unputdownable. I completely recommend it!

2. Tina | August 5, 2010 | Reply

I just finished all the Stieg Larson books. I loved them. My tot loves a little portable Ravensburger cube puzzle. It sits in a portable little case and creates 4 different scenes.
Best,
Tina

3. Claire | August 5, 2010 | Reply

We are just back from two fabulous weeks in France and, as I am 36 weeks pregnant I went with my 3 year old on the train. One unmissable item was an ipad fully loaded up with e-books and games for those moments when I simply couldn’t answer another question about exactly how fast the train can go and whether we were nearly there yet…
The trains wifi meant that it was also handy for reading the Guardian while William was otherwise occupied.

The book I read this summer holiday which was, strange though this may sound, unputdownable, was “Siblings without Rivalry” – more experienced mothers will have read this already, but expecting a third and already having to mediate between two stubborn boys, I really found it interesting and it has been useful already.
Have a lovely time Emilie

4. NVT | August 5, 2010 | Reply

I love the iphone apps for toddlers (if you’re brave enough to let your toddler loose on your iphone). There are some great apps and (she admits sheepishly) you can download their favourite tv programe for guaranteed peace!

5. Pitusa | August 6, 2010 | Reply

I also read the first two Larson’s books and will take the third one with me next week when we’ll travel to Andalusia -so, a book is always a “must-have” for the beach. For my daughter, I guess her Buzz light-year backpack, full of goodies, and a soft and smaller Buzz. Are your kids obsessed with Toy story too, or is it just mine?

6. Sara in Melbourne | August 11, 2010 | Reply

Portable dvd players with a few favorite dvd’s. A godsend when we were stranded in an airport for 6 hours last year. My then 3 year old watched Tom and Jerry over and over – made us more relaxed because he wasn’t agitated and bored. We will never leave for a holiday without it now – not for constant use, just for unplanned, unavoidable delays. And as for the ‘book’ – if I am reading a good book on holiday I feel 100% more satisfied with my holiday than if I did not get into a good book – it really, for me, makes all the difference between a ‘brilliant’ and a ‘nice’ holiday.

7. Sara in Melbourne | August 11, 2010 | Reply

P.S. reading Ken Follett’s ‘Pillars of the Earth’ – so amazing! Can’t wait to tuck my kids in of a night so I can I can get stuck into it! Highly recommend for holiday reading too.

8. Chris on holiday | August 12, 2010 | Reply

Definitely portable DVD with several discs of Thomas the Tank Engine, Ice Age etc, and a bucket full of dinosaurs.
Passport, beach towel, shades, wallet. done.