The brilliance of the SpringFree Trampoline

I was quite adamant that we would never get a trampoline.  I had visions of concussions, broken limbs and teeth knocked out (hey, my brother-in-law is a neurosurgeon). That we live in a townhouse with a little courtyard didn’t help. The trampoline would take up at least half of this and wasn’t really the kind of view I had in mind for the glass walls looking out. But that was before I discovered the brilliance of the Springfree Trampoline.

The hours and hours of fun we have had (me included), not just jumping but reading, playing cars, throwing balls, picnics, performances… drying my washing and airing out my blankets — even taking our pillows out for a spot of stargazing. For my daughter it doubles as her ‘clubhouse’. For my son it is his batman cave. For me it is a padded cell to place my kids when I am in dire need of peace and quiet. All this has well and truly compensated for my view (or lack thereof). But really the best aspect of all is that it is a great and fun source of exercise for the whole family (apparently every muscle gets a go).

While traditional trampolines use big with exposed springs just begging to catch your hair (or worse), the Springfree trampoline uses no springs at all but rather a series of flexible fibre glass rods located safely below the jumping surface. The same applies to the framework which is also below the bouncing mat and out of harm’s way. And while some traditional trampolines might include a net to stop you falling on to the ground, the net is usually supported by a series of rigid poles that hurt just as much when you crash into them. Not so the Springfree trampoline, with its unique, impact-absorbing “FlexiNet”.

The Springfree trampoline was so innovative it won an Australian International Design Award (AIDA) in the Sport and Leisure category early last year. We have had ours for 3 years now and touch wood, no impact injuries. A little bit of squabbling over who goes first but that’s about it. It is on the pricey side but I can’t recommend it highly enough — really, the best investment we ever made.

For more details and worldwide stockists, please see here.

-Sara

1. Cat | July 14, 2010 | Reply

Awesome!!!!!!!

2. Dina | July 14, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the info. This looks amazing! We have wanted a trampoline forever but have resisted getting one for to reasons 1) we were afraid of cracking our skulls open on the side supports and 2) they are just so big and somewhat creepy looking! This one seems to solve both issues – it looks really nice!

3. Esther in Amsterdam | July 14, 2010 | Reply

Looks like fun!!!! Unfortunately our city garden is REALLY too small….. :-(

4. Maris | July 14, 2010 | Reply

I am so convinced! Never mind the price. I’ve been wanting a trampoline ever since I was in middle school, but like you, my mom has always been paranoid of the possible injuries that could be had in using it. Now that I’m financially capable enough to buy myself one, I would do my mom a great favor by investing in this springfree trampoline.

5. Tara | July 15, 2010 | Reply

This looks amazing! I wish I’d heard about it before as have just bought a TP trampoline for our garden. Like you, after months of deliberating whether to go for it I took the plunge. I worry about cracked heads and chipped teeth too, but have 2 very, very boistrous little boys and have read that bouncing is great for lively kids as it releases happy endorphins!
Springfield does look much safer than the one I bought… maybe I’ll upgrade!

6. Cate | July 20, 2010 | Reply

agree trampolines cause loads of injuries!!!!!!!
Someone once suggested to me to contact the local gym and enrol your kids on a course when you get one so that they learn the rules and safety messages properly from the beginning.
It’s on my list of ‘needs’ too but like so many city dwellers we just need to get the garden first!

7. Joanna | July 21, 2010 | Reply

Are these available in the U.S.? I really want one!

8. Richard | July 22, 2010 | Reply

@Joanna – Yes the Springfree Trampoline is avaiable in the U.S. Just visit – http://www.springfreetrampoline.com/

9. AJ | July 22, 2010 | Reply

Yes, they definitely are! http://www.springfreetrampoline.com

10. trampolines | June 15, 2011 | Reply

Is the springfree trampoline durable, and does it have good bounce? I’m looking for a safe trampoline that I can do flips on. Any advice?

11. Springfree Trampoline « Babyccino Kids: Daily tips, Children's products, Craft ideas, Recipes & More | January 5, 2012 | Reply

[...] I was a kid (we had no safety mats or nets!) but now you can buy springfree trampolines as Sara mentioned in an earlier post.  I am proud to say these were invented in New Zealand by a father who wanted [...]