The Papered Parlour

I am so, so ‘can’t stop moving’, ‘ants in my pants’ excited. A couple of weeks ago I was reading one of my favourite blogs — do you know it?  The blog of author, stylist, photographer, all round uber-chic gal Pia Jane Bijkerk.  She wrote about a wonderful sounding place,  the Papered Parlour in Clapham.  I had to check their website out. The Papered Parlour is a new craft venue in London, which offers classes in classic crafting techniques such as silversmithing, dress-making, photography, screen-printing and quilting as well as offering subsidised studio-space for practising artists. It was set up last year by visual artists Claire and Louise, who met working at Battersea Arts Centre.  The space has already received much critical acclaim for not only the skills they teach but the style in which they do it — they have a wonderful looking cafe and most workshops include a proper tea and cake break (you can see why I have been drawn into their ethos!). They hold regular exhibitions and can be hired for parties and events (their ideas for hen-parties are brilliant!).

So why am I so excited? Well I just booked myself onto one of their Summer dress-making workshops — maybe I will finally learn how to make this darling dress for my daughter that I have been cooing over from Oliver + S.

-Mo. x

1. Esther | June 29, 2010 | Reply

Oh, how fun, I want to go too!!!

2. Christine | June 29, 2010 | Reply

I love these patterns! You’ll have to let us know how it turns out….I want to know if it’s as “easy” as their website says…

3. Courtney | June 29, 2010 | Reply

Their website looks so cool. I want to go!

4. Emilie | June 30, 2010 | Reply

I have been eyeing up that Oliver and S dress – let us know how it goes..

5. Mo | July 3, 2010 | Reply

Courtney – please come with me it would be so much fun! But I’m warning you, I’m not sure I can even remember how to thread my machine. x

6. Cate | July 4, 2010 | Reply

You must let us know how you get on. I’ve been thinking about it too!

7. Camilla | August 4, 2010 | Reply

We have a similar kind of place in Angel, Islington called THE MAKE LOUNGE, which is great. I did a stamp-making course (so rubber stamps that you print with inks, not postage stamps) a couple of weeks ago, which was great. In three hours, we (me and three girlfriends) made three or four stamps each. I did one for Nosy Crow – of our crow logo – which I now merrily stamp over all our outgoing post. Really good fun and deeply satisfying!

8. Mo | August 4, 2010 | Reply

I just did the course on Sunday and loved it – I turned a size 8 ladies t-shirt (clearly no good for me anymore) into a sweet t-shirt for my son with his name on it. And I feel so much more confident using my machine – success. Thanks for your tip Camilla – I think these places are becoming a real trend my friend Kate has recently set up a gorgeous place in Bath called The Makery (check out http://www.themakeryonline.co.uk) which is another delightful, crafty place – I love this whole make do and mend revival!

9. Julie | December 13, 2010 | Reply

What a great place. I’d love to go next time i’m in London (I wish we had a similar place in paris!). Lovely to see you on Saturday! Jxx