Papaw ointment — an Australian treasure

lucas papaw ointmentI’m probably not winning any points for originality with our Australian  readers, but before coming to  Australia I had never heard of Lucas’ Papaw Ointment and it has since become our favourite Australian discovery. This natural remedy, made from an enzyme in papaya fruit, can be used on burns, boils, cuts, insect bites, open wounds, chapped lips, haemorrhoids, and the list goes on. And it is definitely the best treatment for nappy rash I’ve ever used.

After stockpiling these little tubes to take back to London with me, I discovered you can actually buy it in London (the creator was, in fact, British)! Dr. Lucas formulated the papaw ointment more than 100 years ago in Australia after leaving London for a warmer climate. Its natural antiseptic quality is great for preventing infection in wounds, it’s totally safe to use on babies and children, and it is so natural it can also be taken internally to aid digestion. It also smells nice — an added bonus!

-Courtney

1. Sara | March 9, 2010 | Reply

Yes, we practically devour this ointment. My daughter calls it the ‘ice cream cream’ because it smells so sweet ……I keep one in the car, one in the bathrooms, one in my handbag, one in the kitchen, laundry….they pop up all over the house!

2. Esther | March 9, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like a must-have! Didn’t discover a point of sales in the Netherlands yet — will have to order from the UK I guess!

3. Courtney | March 9, 2010 | Reply

I’ll bring some back for you! Seriously, we use it about 10 times a day.

4. Vicki | March 10, 2010 | Reply

What a fabulous versatile ointment which is great for the lips too.

5. Sarah | March 10, 2010 | Reply

My best friend who lives in Australia sent me some last year – it is incredible stuff … you can use it for so many things – essential to have with you at all times!

6. Jo | March 25, 2010 | Reply

It is a great versatile ointment however the Lucas brand does contain petroleum. I’m living in Sydney and now most chemists also stock non petroleum papaw ointments as most people are making the change – especially if you are using it on kids.

7. Deon Bester | May 22, 2012 | Reply

My daughter in New Zealand introduced the Lukas Pawpaw Ointment to us when we visited them in October 2011.It is the best ointment that we have ever used and we would like to become sole agents for this product in South Africa.Please help us to be able to become the sole agents in SA.Thank you,Deon & Janne Bester.

8. Kevin | November 26, 2012 | Reply

Worth reading this – the product is petroleum based -would definitely NOT be eating it!