Some of my favourite cooking blogs

cakes_in_the_city_lemon_meringue_cupcakes'While I have loads of cookbooks stacked on my shelves, they have all started to collect dust. I have started using the internet more and more to discover new recipes — I get really inspired when I am looking for a recipe, discover a new site and then stumble over great new ideas! There are some fab sites out there which are regularly updated with new recipes.

I wanted to list some of my favourites, and would love to hear which ones you guys read and salivate over! (By the way, writing this post has taken hours because as soon as I checked one of the sites I liked, I linked to one they liked and so on and so on…. So I have been sitting in front of my computer screen looking at food, which is not the most constructive thing. It is better to make it and eat it!) Here’s a list of some of my favourite cooking sites…

Chocolate and Zuccini almost needs no introduction — it must be one of the first food blogs that became famous. The recipes are fab, some are complicated and some are not, and Clothilde, the writer, has a beautiful way of describing the recipes.

I love making food but I am not the best cook and sometimes (in fact always) need simple, basic instructions to make something new. My fall back site has always been Delia Online by Delia Smith, England’s version of Martha Stewart. It isn’t fancy, but you know that when you are looking for a recipe for something wholesome like Sheperd’s Pie, Delia is perfect.

The Food Section on the Guardian website is great. It features recipes by some of my favourite cooks: Nigel Slater, Dan Leppard, Yotam Ottolenghi and Allegra McEverly.

I do have a sweet tooth and the baking website, Cakes and the City, is just too lovely (check out the lemon and meringue cupcakes on the photo above). I know it is in French but the recipes are relatively simple so maybe you can use this as an exercise to refresh your school French??

Hope you enjoy these!

- Emilie

1. Alice Labaune | November 23, 2009 | Reply

B comme Bon, is a fantastic foodie blog. The photos are amazing… The only hic is that it is also in French.
bcommebon.canalblog.com

2. little miss blabla | November 23, 2009 | Reply

I LOVE the blog Cakes and the City. I discovered it when I was pregnant and had to stay day and night in my bed- I just wanted to try every single recipe… Now my daughter is 2 and I can make all the cooking I want!
by the way I’m French and if you want me to help you with any translation let me know I’ll do my best!
nb: I love Babyccino as well, I live in London now and I’m always delighted to discover new tips and addresses from Courtney

3. liz | November 23, 2009 | Reply

Hi, agree Chocolate and Zucchini is an “incontournable” detour in the food blog world but my absoute favorite is Nordjlus which contains the most beautiful photos of food, lifestyle travel etc. Its Japanese author is a real master at capturing ambiance just perfectly. ps I generally just drool over her beautiful food pictures but have not tried them at home; Perhaps almost afraid to break the magic of their perfection? Can’t wait to check out the french blogs mentioned.

4. Renata | November 23, 2009 | Reply

For kids, specially babies and toddlers, I love http://www.ecologicalmom.com . They have an amazing selection of healthy and delicious recipes by stage, from baby food to finger foods in general.

5. Esther | November 23, 2009 | Reply

I love Cakes and the City! Yum!
I like looking at http://smittenkitchen.com/ for inspiration, the pictures are absolutely beautiful!!

6. Dina | November 25, 2009 | Reply

So happy you posted these! I am always looking for new ideas on what to cook. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut here when feeding young kids.

7. monica | November 30, 2009 | Reply

Hi! thank you for the tips. Have you read the delicious days blog. The pictures are amazing and I have tried some recipes and loved them. The pumkin gnocchi are a dream!