Jack-o-lantern clementines

jack-clemHalloween is definitely not an Italian tradition, but in recent years around this time of the year we do see more pumpkins and orange stuff in the grocery stores. Funnily enough the only costumes accepted are spooky ones, which I’m not too sure are very appropriate for children. Nonetheless it’s another occasion to have some fun, so I’ll jump into it too!
Pumpkin carving is still beyond my abilities, but I did make Courtney’s cupcakes, and I’ve decorated the table with these mini clementine Jack-o-Lanterns. I got the idea on Zakka Life, and they are so cute and easy. I must admit I went the easy way and used a permanent black marker, but apparently you can use less “dangerous” ones so that children can easily participate in the activity!
Happy Halloween!

-Michela

1. Esther | October 30, 2009 | Reply

I love this idea!! Thanks!!

2. Marta | October 30, 2009 | Reply

Good idea! In Barcelona, Halloween is not a traditional holiday, but many people celebrate it now, too. Traditionally, we celebrate Castanyada on All Saints Day. We drink a sweet wine called moscatel and eat roasted chestnuts, sweet potatoes, and tiny desserts called panellets made of pine nuts, coconut, almonds, oranges, etc. Happy Halloween!

3. Helen | October 30, 2009 | Reply

What a great idea. I’m having a Halloween party on Saturday to raise money for the new Manchester Children’s Hospital. It started as a small idea and I now have nearly 50 kids coming!! I don’t want to spend a fortune on decorations but I will definitely have a few piles of those on the tables. Thanks

4. Courtney | October 30, 2009 | Reply

Very cute idea!

Here in London Halloween is a relatively well-known thing. Or, at least there are so many Americans here that their influence has spread.

We will definitely go trick-or-treating this year! (In the American neighborhood of Kensington!)

5. Carol | October 31, 2009 | Reply

Its a great idea! We had a halloween baby party and it was fun, all babie in costumes. Also we made a proper jack-o-lantern.
We can see a lot of halloween articles in London, but still is not a tradtion.

6. Mari | November 2, 2009 | Reply

Thank you for the idea! Easy, inexpensive, decorative and eatable :-) The kids loved making their “little friends”, as they called them.