Baby snacks

baby-mm-original-sWhile checking out the baby biscuits at a health food store, I stumbled upon Baby Mum-Mum biscuits, and couldn’t resist the name!  Now my almost 9-month-old is addicted– she clearly prefers these over any baby cookies I buy.   I love them too– they come in individual packets, great to stash in your bag, they are slightly crunchy, and not at all messy.  They are made primarily of rice, but do have small amounts of sugar and salt. (Maybe that is what makes them so yummy?)  Click here for a list of US and Canadian retailers.

Another classic American fave for older babies is Cheerios.  For my first daughter, I remember stuffing my suitcase full of plain Cheerios when I visited the States, as in France, only the honey nut variety are available.  Apparently Cheerios are great for babies who have perfected the pincer grasp, and I’ve heard they reduce the possibility of chocking as they are circle-shaped.  As I was thinking about this post, I was wondering what kinds of snacks and biscuits moms around the world feed their babies.  Are there other great ideas, or even better– homemade snacks, that we should know about?

xx Rebecca

1. Courtney | August 7, 2009 | Reply

I always bring back cheerios with me from the states. They are the perfect snack food for 6-12 month old babies. It’s weird that they only have the sugary kind here in Europe!

I also like blueberries (cut in half if necessary) — my kids have always loved those as a first food snack.

2. Michela | August 7, 2009 | Reply

Since I do not travel to the states I decided that the plain UK ones would do, much better than the honey nut version you can get in Italy.

My daughter favourite snack was a thick plain grissino. True there’s abit of salt, but not much…. and then just flouer and olive oil. Once you have introduced gluten in the baby’s diet they are perfect.
they are cheap, not too messy and one of them last forever and keeps them busy in the puschair!

3. Maria | August 7, 2009 | Reply

My son is also a fun of cheerios, you can find the plain ones here in Greece, but I give him other varieties of cerial from time to time, just so he doesn’t get bored!

Also raisins are this periods favorites, and sticks of cucumber or carot work quite well as well. I try to put them all in quite colorfull boxes when I hand them over and that is part of the hole ritual…!

4. Christine | August 7, 2009 | Reply

We also just discovered the Mum-mums and my 1 year old and 3 year old both love them (the 3 year old thinks it’s frosting on the top…). Also, Cheerios, raisins, dried cranberries or blueberries, actually pretty much any dried fruit cut into small pieces because it’s not very messy. Or a multigrain cracker for an older baby.

5. Sara | August 7, 2009 | Reply

My mum gave me this great tip whilst we were out one day with a very fussy 12 month old and no snacks in sight.

The hard crunchy end of a baguette/French stick…they love it and can suck on it for ages (of course you have to be close to a bakery or supermarket)!

6. Emilie | August 9, 2009 | Reply

The crunchy end of a baguette is the best, hours of entertainment for little people with no teeth.
I was brought us on this biscuit called a boudoir which my kid also love. It is long and thin so very easy to hold and it dissolves easily in your mouth. It true french style we are not THAT worried about the sugar content of food we give our kids so I am sure one of the reason it is so popular is because it is sweet!

7. Lindsey Altenbernt | August 26, 2009 | Reply

We have these too! I think we have similar mind-sets when it comes to our babies. Gerber used to make a biter-biscuit, but it was as messy as a gram cracker. This is practically mess and crumb free.