Just awful

Australian Bush FiresAs I’m sure many of you know by now, Australia has just experienced its worst natural disaster after ravaging bush fires killed hundreds of people and destroyed many more homes. I received an email yesterday from a woman in my mother’s group who said that her brother had lost his home and all its contents, and she had rushed to the shops to buy supplies for his eight-day-old baby. That’s right. Eight days old! I can’t imagine what it must be like to cope with a disaster of that magnitude with a newborn.

Then on the news last night there was an image of a woman carrying a baby capsule. I’m not sure how old that baby was but it just cut me up that she was also in the midst of upheaval with such a young baby. This weekend I’m going to go through all the clothes that my eight-month-old baby has outgrown and donate them to the Red Cross. There are several ways people can help:

Red Cross: Call 1800 811 700; visit www.redcross.org.au

Salvation Army: Call 137 258; visit salvos.org.au

NAB relief fund: Call 136 622

Donations of clothes and household goods to the Salvation Army, Brotherhood of St Laurence, St Vincent de Paul or the Red Cross.

-Natalie

1. Dallas Shaw | February 11, 2009 | Reply

thanks for these numbers and info, i’m going to do the same. I don’t have any children but have tons of clothing.
dallas

2. Michela | February 11, 2009 | Reply

it’s such a tragedy, i hope things will improve quickly.
I have seen it on the news… horrible!

3. Christine | February 12, 2009 | Reply

We also saw this on the news last night and my heart goes out to those people who lost everything….thanks for letting us know how people can help.

4. Sandra | February 12, 2009 | Reply

It is just horrible and I too cannot imagine how people in the thick of it are coping. A lot of local communities in Australia are doing dedicated trips to Victoria with goods for people left homeless. Our was done through a local transport company and the local Salvation Army branch. Check at your charity stores and they will give you the details on where to take your goods so that they reach the victims of the fires. Our prayers are with all of them xx

5. Esther | February 12, 2009 | Reply

Awful. Just awful. You said it right.

6. Penny | February 12, 2009 | Reply

So horrific!! I still cannot believe what has happened.
Its wonderful seeing all the amazing support from our country.

7. Maraka | February 12, 2009 | Reply

I am an Australian living in London and once that I have confirmation that all my friends and family were safe I donated to the Red Cross. I have lived through some terrible bush fires seasons but this is just heart breaking. My parents tell me that the flood victims in North Queensland are donating their food packages to those in Victoria.

8. Courtney | February 12, 2009 | Reply

Gosh, I just can not imagine. Especially, like you said, with a family and young kids/babies. How do you explain to your kids that everything is gone?
It’s heartbreaking.

9. Emilie | February 12, 2009 | Reply

It is terrible. It feels like I am watching a horror film when the news is on! It is impossible to even understand what people must be going through….

10. Margaret | March 19, 2009 | Reply

That is horrible! it even looks really bad in the picture!