Beach chic at Christmas

Caravan Interiors2Living only a five minute walk from world-famous Bondi Beach presents some interesting decorating dilemmas at Christmas time. I haven’t worried so much about what trinkets and festive fare to indulge in during previous years because I’ve always been too busy celebrating Sydney-style at friends’ places, parties and picnics – it is the summer social season, after all. But this year is different because this is the first time I will experience Christmas with my baby boy, Charlie. And so I want to make a little more effort.

Well, thankfully I have a great shop down the road that will provide me with many decorating options. After all, it is a little tricky to get the right Christmas look when you’re woken by summer sun (not snow) and a post-lunch activity is more likely to involve swimming in the ocean than riding on a sleigh. Caravan Interiors (02 9365 0500) on Hall Street, Bondi, is a must-visit shop. And its decorations are the most beautiful, beach-inspired ones I’ve seen yet. Wreaths are made of driftwood and shells and there’s not a strand of tinsel in sight. Oh, they also have a small but very carefully edited kids’ section, selling everything from clothes to toys to decorations.

-Natalie

1. Emilie | December 23, 2008 | Reply

It sounds beautiful, though it is so weird for me to think of beach-inspired Christmas decorations…

2. Kristin | December 24, 2008 | Reply

As a kid, I always thought that Christmas in Australia would be the best, the festivities of Christmas and warm weather! It still sounds pretty ideal to me!

3. Natalie Walton | December 24, 2008 | Reply

I grew up in the UK so for many years I couldn’t get used to the idea of Christmas in the middle of summer. But now it seems perfectly normal and I can’t wait to eat prawns on Christmas Day and go for a walk down to the beach. One sleep to go!

4. Esther | December 24, 2008 | Reply

Right now, I would totally love the idea of walking to the beach and chilling out!
But sometimes, I love the idea of snow, bells, and turkey…
In the end the message stays the same though – love and peace – all over the world!

5. Courtney | December 24, 2008 | Reply

Gosh… it seems so crazy to be able to eat Christmas breakfast and then spend the afternoon on the beach!

Right now I’m in the US watching the snow fall, sitting by the fire, and warming my body with WAY too many cookies and treats!

6. Kait | March 25, 2009 | Reply

hi there! I am new to your blog and love this wreath. I have featured your post on my blog, beach dreaming……I hope you don`t mind, this is just fabulous!

have a great day!

7. life is a beach « beach dreaming. | March 25, 2009 | Reply

[…] BABYCCINO christmas beach chic – this is a new blog I have visited, please check it out You must know, I would LOVE this wreath, this way…I can combine my love for the Christmas season, and shells! […]

8. Maia Estrella | November 8, 2009 | Reply

Well, actually I am from Puerto Rico, we live year long summer season. My house is decorated beach style and I plan to do the same with my christmas tree. I just bought a few sailboats ornaments , a Margarita, and found some resin starfish. The rest will be done with seashells and sand. I already have my seashells Christmas wreath.