Top 10 Aussie baby finds

Oobi BabyAustralian kids have never looked so good. And there is a reason for that – well, I’ve managed to narrow it down to 10… of my favourite baby-related businesses. Sure, one of them is based in New Zealand (Merino Kids), but Australia often claims all the best of that country as our own (just ask Collette Dinnigan or Russell Crowe). And another (Dwell Studio) is from the US, but has recently made its way to our shores thanks to local distributor, Luxury Labels. So for a taste of what’s in store, check out these stylish shops and cool finds:

1.) Tuchuzy Kids: 86 Gould St, Bondi; (02) 9365 5371
I can’t tell you how excited I was when Tuchuzy took what used to be a sideshow in the men’s store (which is next to the oh-so-fashionable women’s section) to centre stage in its very own shop. Now there’s a great place to not only kit out my baby in the coolest threads but also buy presents for friends with bubs.

Bholu Giraffe2.)Bholu
Simple, stylish designs that are created with love — that pretty much sums up what Bholu is about. And not only does Jodie Fried’s beautiful company produce dreamy homewares for adults but a children’s range which includes cot sheet sets, lamp shades and toys.

3.)Merino Kids
I’m all for anything that makes life simple. And time and time again I find that nature’s answer is often the easiest solution. Case in point: sleeping bags for babies. While there is constant chatter in my mother’s group about “togs”, I’ve got a Go Go Bag by Merino Kids and because it’s made of merino wool, it allows my baby’s skin to breathe when it’s warmer during the day and keeps him toasty when it’s cooler at night. Perfect.

4.)Kido Store
Really, this is one of the best edited collections of children’s ware that I’ve come across so far. And the great news, for those of you who don’t live in Sydney, is that you can buy online. How did mums manage before the internet!

5.) Little Gypsies Globe for kidsLittle Gypsies
I LOVE the concept behind this online store. Casey Arnaud has filled the site with great travel finds for kids that have to meet these five criteria: ethical, charitable, traditional, educational and collectable. It means your child can have a rich cultural experience even if you don’t have the time or money to hop on a plane every six months.

6.)Rock your baby
This was one of the first Australian companies to start creating cool clothes for kids way back in 2002 and it’s still one of the best. While many stores stock the range (such as my beloved Tuchuzy Kids, above), you can also buy online. I love the devilish hoodies.

7.)Dwell Studio
I confess: I went crazy buying a whole host of Dwell Studio products about three days before my baby boy was born. I bought two blankets, a set of soft toy building blocks, a sheet set…

Imprintables stationery28.)Imprintables
When I see advertisements for children’s birthday parties I often cringe. The colours are so garish, the ideas often tacky (and overly commercial) and the cost prohibitive. (Wait ‘til you have a three-year-old – I hear you say!) So I fell in love with not only the beautiful stationery that Nathalie Rivet creates for Imprintables but her birthday party ideas, such as kite parties, which are all about (stylish) old-fashioned fun.

9.)Oobi Baby
I don’t think I’ve met a person yet who doesn’t love these cute and slightly retro designs. And because founder Alex Riggs designs and prints all the cotton fabrics, they’re not only distinctive but unique. Oh, and a portion of product and profit is donated to those in need, such as children in Aboriginal communities.

10.)Melobaby
This all-in-one nappy wallet is without a doubt one of the best products I’ve used since my baby boy was born six months ago. I have a wardrobe full of fashionable handbags and I didn’t really want to go out and buy a nappy bag. The Melobaby fits easily into all my handbags, is gender neutral (so my husband has no excuses not to use it!) and it’s incredibly well designed from a user’s point of view.

-Natalie

1. Suzanne | December 15, 2008 | Reply

I love the idea of modern children’s party invitations! I agree with what you said about how commercial many of the cards out there are. I think something simple and cute like these are a great option!

2. Lucy | December 15, 2008 | Reply

For all the mums around the world wondering about these great Australian and New Zealand baby products, the Merino Kids baby sleeping bags are now available world wide. In the UK try Babysleepbags.co.uk or Amazon UK. In the USA try Babysleepbags.com which looks like it has some great special deals on Merino Kids products at the moment.

3. Esther | December 15, 2008 | Reply

THANK YOU Natalie for your favourites! I love all of them! The invites are so stylish, the sleeping bags so soft, the clothes so cute…
How far is the flight? :-)

4. Courtney | December 16, 2008 | Reply

We LOVE Bholu. Emilie gave my son a green Quintin the Giraffe because my son shares the same name! So cute!

And I’m also loving the Imprintables stationery and the idea of good old-fashioned parties.

5. ~SarahInParis~ | December 16, 2008 | Reply

Hey Nathalie… a fellow Sydney-ite here…(although I’ve lived in Paris for 5 years now). So can I guess that you are a Bondi girl if Tuchuzy is the top of your list? Can’t wait to hear more from my hometown!! xx

6. Steph Bond | December 16, 2008 | Reply

Top marks for this list Natalie! I love all your picks, and am thrilled to be introduced to Little Gypsies. The ethnic outfits on there for little ones are incredible (the Hilltribe Vietnamese! the Mexican!), and lovely to think that by purchasing these ethically-made pieces, we are contributing to a wage for a family-run business in a faraway place.
Steph
Bondville
stephbond.com

7. Natalie Walton | December 16, 2008 | Reply

Haha, Esther. Unfortunately it’s not a short flight. I don’t know how mums do it with teeny tiny babies. But, I guess, where there is a will there is a way. I flew 4 hours to Fiji with a five month old and that wasn’t too bad. Well, not on the way there. On the way back, when the plane circled above Sydney for an hour, that wasn’t fun. But I’ll probably forget about that in another month and do a similar flight same time next year!

8. Natalie Walton | December 16, 2008 | Reply

Suzanne, glad you like the Imrintables stationery. The great thing about it is that the designs are created as a springboard to a party idea, such as the kite designs.

9. Natalie Walton | December 16, 2008 | Reply

Courtney – My son Charlie has a giraffe too! He loves grabbing onto the dangly legs. What a grip he has. Quintin is such a beautiful name, too. Like Quintin Blake, the Roald Dahl illustrator.

10. Natalie Walton | December 16, 2008 | Reply

Oh, Sarah. You caught me out. Yep, live in Bondi. But I’m the jealous one – you live in Paris. My FAVOURITE city!

11. Natalie Walton | December 16, 2008 | Reply

Thanks, Steph. Yes, Little Gypsies is a great site and idea. I love the teepees and the musical instruments.

12. Maraka | December 16, 2008 | Reply

As an Australian living in London I am often having my parents send over clothes for my daughter. I also tend to stock up in their sales as we have opposite seasons. Our last trip home we bought so many clothes for Charlotte we had to buy another suitcase. Here are some other favouirtes that you didn’t have on the list though I agree with many of them espcially Oobi Baby
Tiny People (www.tinypeople.com.au)
Tea Pony (www.teapony.com)
Baby’s Got Style (www.babysgotstyle.com.au)
Cradle Rock (www.cradlerock.com.au)

13. Catherine | December 16, 2008 | Reply

You can buy some of Bholu’s wonderful creations in my store (www.minouchet.com), as well as my Aussie favorite, the Monkey-Do pjs !

14. Emilie | December 16, 2008 | Reply

Courtney and Natalie, my baby daughter is sitting on the floor beside me as I type, trying to drag Quintin the Giraffe behind her while she is learning to crawl. He is, without a doubt, her favourite toy!

15. Allison Jones | December 17, 2008 | Reply

Thanks for this lovely list! These are some of my fave baby stores, especially Bholu, Kido and Little Gypsies. It would be nice to see some stores and designers NOT based in Sydney or NSW, though (!), we have some great baby brands in the rest of Australia too! x

16. Natalie Walton | December 17, 2008 | Reply

Allison, I hear you. To be honest, when I put the list together I was choosing from a very personal perspective. I don’t like when people recommend things that they haven’t even tried – it happens more often than you’d imagine in the media. And while I admit I’m guilty of including Sydney shops, I did want to include a mix that had internet shopping so anyone across Australia or the world could purchase the goods. Also, my little boy is only six months old and while I had a mad dash to Melbourne recently I haven’t had a chance to check out their stores, but I will, and I have friends with babies in Melbourne, Tasmania and Brisbane so watch this space. Of course, I’m always happy to have feedback from readers on YOUR favourite places. After all, this is a discussion. And I can’t wait to hear what you all have to say. Thank you so much for taking the time to write. And I look forward to learning about your favourite non-NSW baby finds!

17. Allison Jones | December 17, 2008 | Reply

Thanks Natalie! I am in Victoria and some of my local faves for baby shopping, available nationally online, are Cocoon Couture, Cradle Rock, Blink, my own company Lark (shameless plug!), and lots of great local shops around Melbourne like Hoochi Coochi, Little Salon, Genki, Jasper Junior, My Poppet, it’s quite a baby-friendly city. Good luck with Babyccino, I’m looking forward to reading more! x

18. Katie | December 21, 2008 | Reply

Here’s a plug for our little online bookstore, We Heart Books, based in Melbourne. It’s run by two mums and has grown from a blog (www.weheartbooks.com).

I love shopping online – and have loved things I have found on Cradle Rock and Baby’s Got Style. Also love the wonderfully creative people on Etsy – many based here in Aus.

Look forward to reading more of your posts, Natalie!

19. Natalie Walton | December 22, 2008 | Reply

Katie, Catherine and Maraka, You’ve all mentioned some great more sites. Although I have to confess that today I ran down to Tuchuzy Kids and bought four presents for other friends’ babies – plus two for Charlie (too hard to resist). I also bought a really cool Technics DJ t-shirt for a nephew at Love Police (www.lovepolice.com.au) in Bondi, which also has online shopping… I really hope that next year I will NOT be starting my Christmas shopping two days before the big day! When will I learn! Haha.

20. bird.lavonne | May 29, 2009 | Reply

———————————————
bird.lavonne

camper trailers

21. Baby Clothes | March 16, 2010 | Reply

I think finding online stores and spending endless hours searching all the wonderful collections stocked and offered is so addictive yet so much fun especially when you find that special little product you were so looking for. Nice list. Thanks.