Baking Soda

bakingsoda.jpgThis post is about the environment, money saving, muffins, clearing drains and a mother in sheer desperation due to 2 small children covered in chickenpox.

You may wonder what all of these things have in common…. Baking Soda, otherwise known as Sodium Bicarbonate or NaHCO3.

Whenever I am googling for random things like an alternative to household cleaners or something to calm itchy skin, Baking Soda always turns up trumps.

I guess it is due to the Baking Soda’s alkaline nature. If you add it to water it raises the PH levels of the water, making it softer and therefore soothing for itchy skin. It also breaks down fat, so can be used to unblock drains and clean kitchen surfaces. Last, but definitely not least, it raises dough and it is an essential ingredient for cookies, muffins and lots of other treats!

Anyway, even if I sound like an old-fashioned housewife, I now actually have a massive box of Baking Soda in my kitchen cupboard and it gets used regularly! Oh, how my world has changed….

- Emilie

1. Suzie | November 5, 2008 | Reply

The kids have got chickenpox? Poor you!
How do they deal with it in Paris? In the UK people you are outlawed somewhat, and expected to stay away from playgroups etc. But I hear from a friend in Holland that there are no such restrictions there, and kids can carry on going to nursery and so on, is that right Esther?
It’s interesting how differently things are viewed in different countries. I sort of feel that everyone has to have it sometime, so the sooner the better really. The worst case scenario would be to reach adulthood without having had it, as it can be so much more traumatic then.

2. Courtney | November 6, 2008 | Reply

Did you know that baking soda is also good for bee stings? And also, if you stick a cup of baking soda in your fridge, it absorbs the odors, so it won’t be as stinky… (especially if you have stinky French cheeses in there)!
Baking Soda really works wonders…

3. Krees | November 6, 2008 | Reply

Baking soda has so many great uses, it’s no wonder it’s so widely available in the U.S. What a disappointment to have such trouble finding it here in Holland! The best bet so far is in the “togos” or other Asian food stores. Esther, any other suggestions for where to find it?

4. Emilie | November 6, 2008 | Reply

I know they have both been down with chicken pox! Here you are absolutely allowed to take your kid to school and creche covered in spots. The things is you wouldn’t want to, they are so miserable and scratchy and mostly have not slept all night, at least that is the case with mine. At my daughter’s school 8 out of 20 kids in her class all got chicken pox at the same time. About 4 of them continued going to school.

5. Silvia - Milano | November 6, 2008 | Reply

Michela, please tell me, are we talking about our BICARBONATO DI SODIO. The same one we find at any grossystore and my mom uses as a sweat absorbent for underarms…!?!?
I’ve ALWAYS wondered if it is the same thing!
Please, let me know!

6. Michela | November 6, 2008 | Reply

Silvia, yes it is!
Apparently there are endless uses for it.
My obstetrician suggested to use it to wash the lower parts after my c-section during the lochia phase!

7. Emilie | November 6, 2008 | Reply

Also good for brushing your teeth, though I have never tried that….

8. Libby | November 6, 2008 | Reply

Did you know that if your cookies are coming out flat, it is time to buy some fresh baking soda? I thought I had lost my baker’s touch — but it was the baking soda!

9. Esther | November 6, 2008 | Reply

A lot of toothpastes do contain baking soda already!