Le Caddie

orla.jpgBefore I came to Paris I thought that shopping trolleys (known in France as a ‘Caddie’) strictly existed for the over 70 market, and you would not have been able to pay me to be seen in public with one. When we got here I spotted someone close to my age with a caddie who was fairly normally dressed; I thought they were being ironic, but then I spotted another and another… everybody had one!!

The Caddie has had a revival in Paris and it makes complete sense! It is impossible to drive to the supermarket here, so why risk cutting off your circulation with plastic bag handles when you can load all your groceries into a trolley and gracefully pull them along behind you. It has also really cut down on the use of plastic bags; shopkeepers are now checking whether you have your caddies with you before bagging your groceries! The bigger supermarkets like Monoprix even loan out caddies if you happen to have bought more than you had planned for.

As this is the city of style, caddies come in a huge amount of variety. (How cute is this one from Orla Kiely)?! Gone are the days of the tartan caddie; now you find them everywhere in every shape, colour and price imaginable. Some have freezer compartments, some have bottle holders and some can be folded down into tiny little packages.

I cannot believe the caddie craze has not caught on everywhere!

– Emilie

1. Michela | September 5, 2008 | Reply

Italy is getting there….. but let’s say it has gotten to the fifty-something!
We have the ones with freezer compartments, and the ones that fold down…but the orla kiely one no!!
I so so love it!

2. Courtney | September 5, 2008 | Reply

This is the cutest darn thing i’ve ever seen.
If I didn’t push around a buggy all day (which carries all my groceries), I would FOR SURE tote one of these around!

3. Michela | September 5, 2008 | Reply

I guess that caddies are not big in london because grocery shopping online is so good…there’s no ocado in italy.

4. Shawn | September 5, 2008 | Reply

I have one of these that I bought in Madrid from a company called Rolser and I love it. It even goes from 2 wheels to four for more stability when it is full. People stop me on the street all the time to ask where I got mine (in London and NY).

5. Emilie | September 5, 2008 | Reply

I don’t think over here that online shopping is ever going to take over from the market food shopping. I think people view it more as a pleasure than a chore!

6. Esther | September 7, 2008 | Reply

So recognizable! When I lived in NY I had the same experience – in Holland these things are for grandmothers, so imagine my surprise when in NY I spotted hip girl after hip girl with a caddie! I immediately got one (got to be hip, of course) and loved it!
When I moved to Brussels and brought my caddie with me, I was looked at very strangely again. But at that point I was so used to my caddie, I couldn’t possibly care less! And who knows, maybe I started a fashion there…
Now I have my push-chair, but as soon as my kids are fully walking, I’ll surely remember this Orla Keily one – LOVE it!